REF: ENT 4/26/11 IV (82)
Government of Botswana is collaborating with Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) on a Sustainable Forest Management Impact Program on Dryland Sustainable Landscapes (DSL-IP), with funding from the Global Environmental Facility (GEF). The DSL-IP seeks to assist countries across Africa and Asia in: a) fostering resilience of production systems in drylands; b) promoting restoration and rehabilitation; and c) improving livelihoods through a comprehensive landscape approach. As part of the DSL-IP, the Botswana Sustainable Miombo-Mopane Landscape Management Project addresses the same objectives and is executed by Ministry of Environment & Tourism and Ministry of Agriculture, through Operational Partner Agreements.
Applications are therefore, invited from suitably qualified Botswana Citizens for the below mentioned contract positions, which are tenable at the Ministry of Environment and Tourism. Successful candidates will become part of a Project Management Unit (PMU) based in Gaborone.
The project offers an attractive remuneration package, commensurate with qualifications and experience.
VACANCY CIRCULAR NO 11 OF 2022
VACANCY: NATIONAL TECHNICAL ASSISTANT
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
Under the supervision of the National Project Coordinator (NC), provides technical back-stopping to the project to ensure smooth functioning of the project and fulfilment of the results and outputs indicated in the project document. The National Technical Assistant will be responsible for implementation of the project interventions. He/she will assist the NPC with planning, stakeholder coordination, knowledge management, implementation support and monitoring of project activities.
P34, 247.00 per month (inclusive of Medical Aid, PAYE and gratuity)
30 Working days per annum (to be utilized during contract period
CONTRACT DURATION: One year renewable
QUALIFICATIONS: Minimum of MSc in Environmental or Biological Sciences (Forestry, Rangeland Ecology, Natural Resources Management, Conservation Ecology).
• Minimum of 10 years of technical and managerial experience dealing with applied natural resource issues in Botswana.
• Experience in the management of UN agencies' environmental projects will be an advantage.
• Experience working in the targeted landscape could be an advantage.
• Experience/background in development of Non-Timber Forest Products will be an advantage.
• Proficiency in Computers and Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Project)
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Coordinate the implementation of Annual Work Plans and Budget Plan (AWP/B).
• Assist with the development of detailed Terms of References (ToRs) for short-term consultants and contracts for local service provision, assist with their selection, recruitment, contracting, and monitor and supervise their work to ensure timely delivery of outputs to an acceptable standard.
• Monitor and maintain records of project expenditures.
• Assist the NPC with the set-up and implementation of the project M&E system.
• Provide required information for the preparation of project progress reports, including co-financing initiatives.
• Ensure regular communication and promote close collaboration with government and non-governmental partners.
• Ensure continuous collaboration, communication and teamwork.
• Provide support with domestic logistics, mission planning, access to data and reports, and organization of meetings with relevant officials for expert missions.
• Facilitate the different workshops to be organized during the project period and support the preparation of workshop reports/proceedings as applicable.
• Provide technical advice to ensure that appropriate approaches are followed during project implementation (participatory and integrated approaches, multi-stakeholder participation, etc.).
• Perform other duties as may be required by the NPC in order to ensure that project operations proceed according to schedule and foreseen project results are achieved in the target sites.
• Innovation Management
• Priority Setting
• Managing through systems
• Conflict management
• Drive for results
• Customer focus
• Ethics and values
• Integrity and Trust