The first missionary visit fron the Dutch Reformed Church in South Africa was in 1864, however the first mission station of the Dutch Reformed Church was formaly set up in Mochudi in 1877 as a circuit.
When Botswana attained independence in 1966, the church was given the status of a Synod but still under the church in South Africa.
The church in Botswana formally became autonomus from the church in South Africa in 1979.
For many years the church's mission work has been predominantly among the Bakgatla people with this scenario changing gradually over the years..
Currently the church has 13 congregations namely: Mochudi, Mochudi East, Phaphane, Mochudi West, Sikwane, Gaborone, Tlokweng, Lobatse, Kgalagadi, Ghanzi, Maun, Makaleng and Selebi Phikwe.
A Synod assembly is held every two years with two circuits assemblies every year.
In the Reformed tradition, the Synod Office is not the 'Head Office' but could be called that for administrative purposes. It is more of a central office.
As part of its mission the church has established projects such as the Deborah Retief Memorial Hospital, the Mochudi Homecrafts Centre, Pudulogong Rehabilitation Centre, the Mochudi Resource Centre for the Visually Impaired, the Motswedi Rehabilitation Centre etc.
(Information provided by Rev. Dikeme Radikgomo, Current Moderator.)